Cake Zine : Wicked Cake
Cake Zine is a hedonistic exploration of history, pop culture, literature, and art through dessert. The second issue, Wicked Cake, explores the sinister side of sweets, the horrors lurking beneath the buttercream. Over eighty pages of recipes, essays, poems, illustrations, and photographs, including:
- Sohla El-Waylly’s recipe for death by chocolate cake: a multilayered monstrosity of cocoa meringue, devil's food cake, and dangerous ganache shards.
- A lyric essay on schadenfreude and the merits of baking your enemies into confections by Jami Nakamura Lin.
- A contemplation of obsolescence in the age of DALL-E by baker Bronwen Wyatt.
- A comic by Priscilla Frank on the true story of a sixteenth-century cantankerous “witch” whose buttery shrovetide cakes kindled her demise.
- Very wicked cakes by Bodega Cakes, Frosted Hag, and Lauren Schofield, photographed in an abandoned church by Chelsea Kyle.
- An exploration of sirutteok, a Korean rice cake used to banish evil spirits in shamanistic rituals, by Giaae Kwon.
- Plus a peek inside Sylvia Plath’s oven, an analysis of Courtney Love’s desire to “be the girl with the most cake,” a fiery condemnation of deepcakes in the age of “is it cake?” and a whole lot more.
Dimensions: 7" x 9.5" // Softcover
Co-Founders and Editors - Tanya Bush and Aliza Abarbanel
Designer and Art Director - Noah Emrich
Contributing Editors - Jesse Sparks, Amanda Shapiro, and Angeline Rodriguez
Copy Editor - Alexis Nowicki
Social Media Editor - Dominique A. Evans
Recipe Editor - Sanaë Lemoine